Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Day/Heroes

 
While we are all enjoying the 3-4 day weekend with our family and friends I want to share a few facts about the federal holiday we are about to celebrate.

1. It was formerly known as Decoration Day
2. It commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service.
3. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the civil war).
4. It was expanded after WWI to include American casualties of any war or military action
5. A national moment of rememberance takes place at 3 p.m. Eastern time
6. Another tradition is to fly the flag at half-staff from dawn until noon local time
7. Members of the Veterans of Forein Wars takes donations for poppies in the days leading up to Memorial Day, the poppies significance is the result of John McCrae poem "In Flanders Fields"
8. Memorial Day formerly was observed on May 30. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) advocate returning to this fixed date, although the significance of the date is tenuous. The VFW stated in a 2002 Memorial Day Address:
“ Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed a lot to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day."

I honestly didn't know that much about Memorial day until a few years ago and I feel better knowing that it's more than just a 3 day weekend. Take some time this weekend to visit a cemetery, maybe you know someone that gave their life for this country: friend, relative, comrade, stranger, and give a moment of silence for those individuals.
 
But also remember the other's in your life that you have lost, because it's about them too. It's time to spend with family and remember those we have lost.
 
While I'm on the honoring the fallen kick, here is a note I wrote a couple of years ago:
 
What is a hero to you? That is the question on one of the discussion board's here on facebook. I'm sitting in the BSU computer lab wasting time before my last final, and I came across the discussion board and was appalled at some of the things people were saying. Things like soldiers are child killers, drones, and they can't think for themselves. REALLY? Thousands of men and women have sacrificed their lives for the freedom's we enjoy! SERIOUSLY, people are going to diss the American Soldier for the few that choose to do the wrong thing and make us look bad.

Dictionary.com defines a Hero as:
–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
4. Classical Mythology. a. a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
b. (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
c. (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.

To me a Hero is someone who puts other's needs in front of their own, not expecting anything in return. There is a word for that and I can't remember what the heck it is....someone help me out.
I remember now it's Altruism
 
My parent's are my heroes because they both went to school and worked full time jobs while raising the five of us. They sacrificed some of the good things in life to make sure that we were taken care of.
 
My Grandpa Brazier is my hero for serving in the Navy during WWII.
 
My Grandpa Parish is my hero for making the journey from Greece to American in search of something better.
 
The men and women who have lost their lives and been seriously injured are my heroes. Those men and women who have given up their lives to help other people out, to lay across a buddy's body to shield them from an explosive. Those are my hero's.
 
My fellow soldiers of the 116th who are away from their families.  Special attention to my friends from C Co 145th. You guys are doing an awesome job over there and I wish I was there with you.
 

I'm tired of people thinking that because they watch the news, read the newspapers, and are college educated, that they know what's going on. I hate to say it but unless you have experienced being away from your family in a place where the people are trying to kill you, you cannot understand what it's like. I've overheard people saying that soldiers can't think for themselves and that they are just in the military for the money, and I'm sick of it. Yeah I will admit that the college tuition and GI Bill are a great incentive but I like having done something with my life that will make a difference in other peoples. Like a police chief I met said; "you can't change the the whole world but you can make a world of difference in someones life." I can't say that everything thing we do over there is right and just but I believe that a lot of things we do make a difference.
 
I will always remember the 7 year old boy that I held during a MAV (medical assistance visit) who was seriously deformed, malnourished, and small for his age, I will remember that thanks that I got from his Mother for holding him and wiping the dirt off his face and giving him medicine for the cold that he had.
I've just rambled but I was just outraged by some of the things people say.
 
Today I want you to think to yourself, What is a hero? And whomever that is, thank them for whatever it is that makes them a hero to you.
 
I'll step off my soapbox for now.
 
Enjoy your weekend!!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...